ICAP antivirus integration is available in FileCloud Server version 18.2.
ICAP scans are noted in audit logs beginning with version 19.3.
FileCloud gives you maximum flexibility when choosing an antivirus product to scan uploaded files. FileCloud uses Internet Content Adaption Protocol (ICAP) to integrate with any antivirus product currently supporting ICAP.
ICAP is a generic protocol that allows web servers to offload specialized tasks to custom-built servers. Examples of such specialized tasks include DLP (data loss prevention) based content scanning, URL filtering and antivirus scanning.
FileCloud's ICAP integration feature:
- Works on both Linux and Windows servers
- Triggers virus scanning only for uploaded files, that is - when files are uploaded to a FileCloud server instance
- Scanning is scheduled "inline" as soon as the file upload is completed
- Is part of FileCloud server itself
- Provides flexibility and scalability - the ICAP antivirus server does not have to be deployed on the same server as the one running the FileCloud server instance.
If you have already purchased your own antivirus solution and want to use it, or if you do not want to use ClamAV for various reasons, it is highly recommended to use this feature.
We also recommend that the ICAP Antivirus server administrator must consult the antivirus product documentation to understand the operational and configuration parameters, capabilities and limitations. As virus scanning is a critical feature for maintaining water-tight security and smooth functioning of any workplace, consulting the documentation is important before configuring FileCloud's ICAP integration settings, it would also help in troubleshooting and maintenance.
Similar to the case of ClamAV, if FileCloud's ICAP Client has been configured correctly with a properly deployed ICAP AV server, when a virus is detected in an uploaded file, the following actions occur:
- The incoming file is deleted.
- An alert will be displayed in the Admin Portal.
- A toast will be displayed in the User Portal.
- An entry will be added in the audit log about virus detection in the file and subsequent deletion of the file.
Integrating ICAP with FileCloud
Using ICAP to integrate Antivirus capabilities into FileCloud requires customers to:
- Set up an ICAP antivirus server.
- Configure FileCloud's inbuilt ICAP client to access your antivirus server.
FileCloud has made it easy for administrators to connect a FileCloud server to your antivirus server by including an inbuilt ICAP Client.
The easy configuration steps apply to both Windows and Linux servers.
To configure FileCloud to use your antivirus server:
- Open a browser and log on to the Admin Portal.
- On the left navigation panel, click Settings.
- Select the Third Party Integrations tab.
- In the Anti-Virus tab, from the Anti-Virus type drop down list, select ICAP AV.
- Configure the various parameters for the ICAP Client as described in the Table 1.
- To save your changes, click Save.
- To confirm if the configuration has been done correctly, click the ICAP Test button.
- A positive reply will confirm proper connectivity with the ICAP AV Server.
Table 1. ICAP Client Parameters
|Server Local IP||In most cases, leave the default value of 0.0.0.0. If you are using a separate FileCloud policy with ICAP, enter the Private (LAN) IP of the FileCloud server.|
|ICAP Remote Hostname|
Enter the hostname or IP of the system where the ICAP AV is deployed.
|ICAP Port||Leave the default value of 1344 as it is. In rare cases, this might need to be changed to whatever port the ICAP AV server is listening on.|
|Skip Scanning For Files Greater Than||This is the file limit in bytes that will be scanned. For example, very large files can be excluded from scanning. Default value is 25MB|
|ICAP Service Name||Consult the ICAP AV server product documentation to know this value. It must be set correctly otherwise integration wont work.|
|Enable Debug for ICAP Client||Check this to enable logging of detailed operational debug messages in the (error) logs.|
|Enable Network Debug for ICAP Client||Check this to enable logging of detailed network communication related debug messages in the (error) logs.|