Beginning with FileCloud v17.3, public shares can be searched.
The search function appears for all available data sources in FileCloud including Managed , LAN based Network Shares, and S3 Based Network shares.
Beginning with FileCloud v20.3, if OCR is enabled in your system, content search returns image files and PDF files that match your search string.
To perform a basic search for a file or folder, enter the search term in the search box at the top of the screen and click enter.
- The search is performed on all folders.
- By default, filename is searched, but both filename and content may searched. This is set in the Advanced Search dialog box.
Note: If the content search feature is not configured in your system file contents are not searched.
- By default, search results are cached for up to 3 months to reduce the server load. This can be configured by your administrator. Search results can be refreshed by tapping the "Search Again" link.
- Searching is case-insensitve.
Content search hits are returned with the matching string highlighted except in the case of lengthy search results, where omitting highlighting achieves quicker response time.
Starting in FileCloud version 18.1, metadata search is available if enabled by administrator.
Starting in FileCloud version 19.3, the Use Cached Results option is available.
Click the drop-down arrow in the search bar to enter advanced search options.
Scope - Which parts of a file or folder are searched.
Search Type - Search files, folders or both.
Path Selection - Search everywhere or on a specific folder path only.
Modified Date - Only search items modified within the specified dates.
Results Count - Return all matches or no more than 50 matches.
Use Cached Results - When checked, do not clear results for searches that have been run recently; return results that are already stored. (checked by default)
To run the advanced search, click Search after you have entered search parameters.
To clear the Advanced Search dialog box, click Cancel after you run a search.
To perform a metadata search:
- In the search bar, click the arrow to open the Advanced Search dialog box.
- For Scope, select Metadata.
Additional metadata fields appear.
- Choose values for Metadata Set and Attribute. Then choose a value for the attribute.
For help with metadata and its terminology in FileCloud, see Adding Metadata.
- Click Add Condition.
The condition appears in the table below the attribute.
- Add any number of conditions.
- Enter any additional search options.
The search in the video below looks for files with Image metadata configured, and then looks to see if Image Orientation is equal to Horizontal.
Metadata Search limitations
In FileCloud the metadata search is subject to the following limitations:
- Search is performed as an exact match. Specify the whole value that you are searching for. Partial matches aren't supported
- Every metadata search condition narrows the search - the result has to match all conditions at the same time (AND logical operation is performed)
Color metadata search:
When you search on a color metadata:
- The condition in Attribute: Color is automatically added when you select it.
- If you check Any, you can add multiple colors, and files tagged with any of the colors selected are returned.
- If you do not check Any, you can only select one color.
- The hexadecimal value of the color appears in the condition. For example, the following condition searches for files tagged green.
View Previous Results
To increase search speed when users rerun a previous search, FileCloud saves search results.
You can return saved results from the search bar, or configure FileCloud to return saved results for an advanced search:
To return saved results from the search bar:
- Click in the search bar.
- In the options that appear below, see if there is a Show Previous Search Results option for the search term you are looking for.
- Click Show Previous Search Results and view the results again.
To use cached results for an advanced search:
- In the Search bar, click the down arrow.
The Advanced Search dialog box opens.
- Check the Use Cached Results checkbox.
- Enter any other search options.
- Click Search.
If there are previous search results for the same search parameters, the results are returned.
You have various options for performing actions on search results.
To save the results of your search:
In the upper-right corner of the screen, click the More icon and choose Download Search Results.
To perform other actions on a file or folder returned in a search:
Hover over the item and click one of the icons to Preview, Go To, Download, or Edit Online.
Click the More icon for additional actions to perform on the item.