Enable Antivirus Scanning
Internet Content Adaptation Protocol (ICAP) antivirus integration is available in FileCloud version 18.2
- The antivirus security feature works on both Linux and Windows.
- The antivirus product may or may not be deployed on the same server as the one running the FileCloud instance.
- Antivirus scanning applies when files are uploaded to FileCloud.
- Virus scanning of a file is scheduled as soon as file upload is complete.
- Virus scanning is managed by FileCloud.
You must address virus scanning as it is a critical security feature, especially when file storage is involved.
- FileCloud allows users to upload files with arbitrary content.
- It is of utmost importance to make sure that the uploaded files are checked for malicious content in the form of viruses, trojans, malware, etc.
- FileCloud readily integrates with a variety non-commercial and commercially licensed antivirus solutions available in the market.
You can configure FileCloud to scan uploaded files in the following ways:
- Use ClamAV, an open source antivirus software that is included with FileCloud.
- Use ICAP to integrate your own choice of antivirus scanning software with FileCloud.
Internet Content Adaptation Protocol (ICAP) is a generic protocol that allows web servers to offload specialized tasks. This delegation is helpful when the tasks require custom-built servers.
Examples of such specialized tasks include:
- DLP (data loss prevention) based content scanning
- URL filtering
- antivirus scanning
If you have already purchased your own anti-virus solution and want to use it, then choose ICAP.
If you do not want to use ClamAV for various reasons, then choose ICAP.
If you want to use antivirus scanning included with FileCloud, then choose ClamAV.
Which solution do you want to use?
Neither of these options provides protection for the server on which FileCloud is deployed. The antivirus solution configured here applies only for the uploaded files.