Sharing Files and Folders
File and folder sharing allows you to provide public or private access to files stored in FileCloud Server with various levels of access privileges.
While files can easily be shared by emailing them, sharing files in FileCloud allows you to:
- Keep track of who you have shared a file or folder with
- Add comments about the file or folder
- Monitor file versions
- Control changes people make to a file or folder by setting a combination of permissions to read, view, modify, copy, or delete it
- Have an allocated amount of personal file storage in a common file system
You can share a file or folder publicly or privately.
- Does not require the user you want to share with to have a FileCloud account.
- Lets you share a file with everyone with or without restrictions.
- Lets you share a file with everyone and require a password.
- Does require the user you want to share with to have a FileCloud account.
- Lets you invite someone to create a FileCloud account so you can share with them.
- Lets you share a file with specific FileCloud users with or without restrictions.
|Requires a FileCloud Account||Set Permissions||Set Options||Share with Everyone||Share with a Specific User|
Anyone with the link can access
|Any user who has the share link can access the share.||Once you select to share with specific users, the share becomes private.|
Invite those without an account to create one
Add Groups to share with multiple users at once
|With a FileCloud account (you can invite users who do not have FileCloud accounts, but they must register for an account before viewing the share)|
Some permission options may vary depending on whether you share a file or a folder.
Prior to FileCloud version 19.1, users can click on the root folder, My Files, and select Share. This is a security threat and should not be allowed.
In FileCloud Server version 19.1 and later:
- When users click on the root folder, My Files, they no longer have the sharing option.
Each user creates shares independently, so there may be different shares pointing to the same folder or file.
In this section:
- Sharing Files and Folders Publicly
- Sharing Files Privately
- Share a Folder Privately
- Share Options for Public and Private Folders
- Managing Shared Files and Folders