Install OpenJDK 8 for Windows
FileCloud Document Converter is a Java-based service that allows users to see thumbnail images for a file.
- Document Converter requires the correct Java Development Kit (JDK).
FileCloud now fully supports OpenJDK 8 instead of Oracle Java.
- Java Development Kit (JDK) consists of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) along with tools to compile and debug Java code for developing Java applications.
- OpenJDK is an open source implementation of the Java Standard Edition platform with contributions from Oracle and the open Java community.
- OpenJDK is the official reference implementation for Java Standard Edition from Java SE 7.
- OpenJDK is released under license GPL v2 wherein Oracle JDK is licensed under Oracle Binary Code License Agreement.
- Oracle JDK’s build process builds from OpenJDK source code.
FileCloud's Content Search feature also requires OpenJDK 8. If you already have this installed, you can skip these steps.
To install Doc Converter for Windows:
To install OpenJDK:
1. Download Open JDK 8 from https://adoptopenjdk.net/
2. Create a new folder in the C: drive.
(In the example diagram, jdk8u192-b12 is the name of the new folder.)
3. Extract the Open JDK file you downloaded into the new folder.
Setting the path and environment variables will differ depending on the version of Windows you have on your computer.
- These instructions were designed for Windows Server 2008 R2
Administrator privileges are required to modify the path and environment variables.
To set the JAVA_Home path: