Client Device configuration settings can be configured remotely by specifying the configuration XML using policies.
For most clients, if the user changes the configuration locally, then the remote settings configured by the Administrator will override those settings the next time the client refreshes its settings.
For the Sync client, when an Admin sets a remote client policy, a user working in the Sync app cannot modify the settings. Sync will display a message saying "Centralized Configuration is being applied. Settings cannot be changed.".
To set a device configuration for a policy:
- Open a browser and log in the Admin Portal.
- From the left navigation pane, select Settings.
- To open the list of policies, select the Policies tab.
- Click the policy that you want to configure, and then click the edit icon ( ).
- Click on the Device Configuration tab.
- Paste or type in the remote device configuration XML in Client Configuration.
Device configuration is specified via XML, the general format of the XML is as follows
There are can be a few reasons why the XML code in your policy isn't working:
- You are running FileCloud Server version 18.1 or older
- Your XML code is not correct
Older Versions of FileCloud
If you are not running FileCloud Server version 18.2 or later, you are missing the following bug fix:
ISSUE: Device configuration in the Policies is not being applied by the desktop clients. The xml configuration needed to be corrected.
RESOLUTION: FileCloud Server now validates XML code before a device configuration can be saved.
Incorrect XML Code
After you upgrade to FileCloud Server 18.2, if your XML code cannot be validated then you will see the following warning:
Please correct the XML error and try again to Save your device configuration.
What do you want to configure?
- Device Configuration XML For Drive for Mac
- Device Configuration XML For Outlook Add-in
- Device Configuration XML For Server Sync
- Device Configuration XML For Sync
- Device Configuration XML For Windows Drive
- Device Configuration XML for Desktop Edit
- Device Configuration XML for FileCloud Desktop for macOS