Moving from Tonido to FileCloud Community Edition
Tonido has been in maintenance mode for the last few years, which means only bug fixes have been delivered and no new features are available.
Since FileCloud 19.3, a new license model is available: FileCloud Community Edition. If you’re looking for a secure alternative to access your files, this edition is your best option.
6 Key Differences to Note Before Moving:
- FileCloud Community Edition has a license cost of $10/year (proceeds donated to charity).
- There is no relay server for Community Edition, which means that <yourserver>.tonido.com address has no similar option in Community Edition.
- FileCloud desktop and mobile applications are more advanced and feature-proof than Tonido; syncing files across devices is a better experience.
- Significant features from FileCloud (Business-oriented licenses) are available in the Community Edition, like:
- Storage from Disk, Network Shares, Amazon S3, Azure, Alibaba Cloud, Wasabi, EMC ECS
- Access to NTFS permissions storage and the Drive desktop application
- Unlimited versioning and recycle bin support, advanced sharing options for external users, file change notification
- And much more!
- Some features from Tonido are not available in FileCloud, like remote desktop, torrent, DLNA media server, money manager, thots, and other user-specific apps.
- Most importantly, active development is present on FileCloud Community Edition, including Forum support by FileCloud support engineers, bug fixes, and new features.
We recommend a dedicated machine for a computer that will run FileCloud Community Edition, either a VM or an old server in your home network.
- OS Specs:
- Windows Server 2012 R2, 2016, 2019
- Ubuntu 18.04, 20.04, CentOS 7, RHEL 7
- HW Specs:
- Intel quad-core CPU
- 16 GB of RAM or higher
- storage (physical disk, SAN, NAS, etc.)
What is Missing From a Regular FileCloud Server?
Most of the features listed below are enterprise-grade/business-oriented and are not often required by a personal or small business installation.
- Data Governance (including Smart DLP, Smart Classification, Retention Policies, and the Governance Dashboard)
- Single Sign-On (SSO)
- Solr Search
- Server Sync
- Third-party integrations (AV, Salesforce, SIEM, etc.)
- SMS Authentication
Should You Switch from Tonido to FileCloud Community Edition?
See the comparison table below to help you decide if you should switch from Tonido to FileCloud CE:
If you currently use Tonido for media consumption, there are alternatives available that will help you achieve this in a better way (Kodi, Emby, Plex, etc.)
On the other hand, if you use Tonido to sync across devices, share files, and use it for more work-oriented tasks, consider switching to FileCloud Community Edition. It’s only $10/year for a license and gives you access to a robust file-sharing system with a strong Return-on-Investment.
Article written by Daniel Alarcon